Baked Eggs 'n Toast If you're feeling like staying in this weekend (thanks to the…
It’s still hard for me to pass up apples for dessert. I remember my German grandmother said apple desserts would always be a good choice when dining out. I think of her when I see apple desserts on menus.
This apple dessert was developed by my Get Cooking Simply blog partner Rita Held. Balsamic vinegar with berry jam elevates the homey dessert to a special dessert, and it’s still simple. Note when buying balsamic vinegear, not all balsamics are created equal, which I discuss in my Strawberry Balsamic Sauce recipes. Always look for the Original Balsamic Vinegar certification seal for best quality and balanced flavor.
Berry Balsamic Baked Apples
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves or jam (or other berry)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 6 medium apples, about 7oz each Gala, Golden Delicious, Fuji, Cameo work well
- garnish: chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a small saucepan, stir together preserves, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, butter and nutmeg. Cook over medium heat until butter is melted. Continue to cook 10 minutes more until slightly reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Core apples and peel the top third of each apple. Place in a baking dish and spoon sauce over and inside each apple. Bake uncovered 35 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and baste apples with sauce from bottom of the dish. Bake an additional 10 minutes or until apples are tender when pierced with a knife.
- Cool at least 15 minutes before serving. To serve, spoon sauce over each apple and sprinkle with pecans. Add a small scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.