[donotprint]Yes, zucchini and raisins with a touch of garlic and Parmesan cheese – a marvelous…
Muffins are ‘sweet’ for breakfast or snack. These fruit-sweetened muffins have no added sugar, thanks to raisins and dates blended into a puree, and no added fat! The dried fruit puree plus shredded or diced apples add enough moisture to replace butter or oil, yet retain a light cake-y crumb perfect for a muffin.
I keep them on-hand in the freezer for a quick-grab breakfast or snack. The recipe is super simple, just a blender and a bowl, and a few minutes to stir together. Take a look, give it a try, and let me know if you think fruit puree isn’t the best thing you’ve tried to reduce added sugar 🙂
No Sugar Added Raisin Date Apple Muffins
- 1 cup Sun-Maid Golden Raisins (or natural/dark raisins) 80 grams
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid pitted dates(10 deglet noir or 6 medjoul) 80 grams
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or 1/2 cup each all-purpose white and whole wheat, or GF flour (see note for gluten free blend)
- 1/2 cup almond meal or almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded unpeeled apple (or 3/4 cup diced)
- 1/2 cup natural or golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- HEAT oven to 375° F. Grease 12 (2 -inch) muffin cups, or coat with cooking spray. The muffins stick to papers, unless they are foil lined.
- WHIRL golden raisins, dates and hot water in a blender or food processor until fruit is evenly pureed. Add eggs and whirl just to blend.
- COMBINE flour, almond meal, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Stir with a whisk to blend.
- ADD raisin-date puree, shredded apple and 1/2 cup natural raisins to flour mixture; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- SPOON batter into prepared muffin cups.BAKE 16-17 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly to touched. Cool in pan 3 minutes. Transfer muffins to wire rack to cool completely. Store airtight 2-3 days or freeze for longer storage.
- Greased muffin tin (preferably non-stick) is recommended as muffins will stick to paper liners
- Natural raisins can be substituted for golden; muffins will be darker color
- Shredded apple makes a slightly moister texture muffin
- GLUTEN FREE: substitute 1/2 cup corn flour or finely ground cornmeal and 1/2 cup chickpea flour for the 1 cup wheat flour.