[donotprint]Home-made marinades and sauces add pizzaz to plain foods with just a few ingredients that…
A galette is my cheater version of pie. Just one crust to roll and no pie pan fussing! Perfect for stone fruits, apples, berries, rhubarb, and oven ready in about 30 minutes. Or maybe a few minutes more if it’s your first time. This is a good starter recipe if you’ve never made pastry. See my step-by-step stir-n-roll pie crust pastry from the classic red 1950 Betty Crocker’s Picture Cookbook — page 433 in my mom’s book 🙂
Send me a picture of your galette and I’ll add it to this post!
- 4 cups sliced fresh fruit, choice of apples, rhubarb, etc
- 1/2-3/4 cups granulated sugar depending on preference for sweetness
- 2-4 tbsp chopped crystallized ginger (optional)
- one 9-inch single crust Stir'n Roll Pie Crust (half recipe), or your favorite recipe or purchased dough https://www.rosemarymark.com/stir-n-roll-pie-crust/
- 2-3 tsp cornstarch or instant tapioca depending on fruit juiciness, optional
- 2 tsp milk
- 2-3 tsp granulated or demerara sugar
- Roll dough to about 11-inch circle. If using my Stir-and-Roll pie dough recipe it's important to roll the dough between wax paper as my step-by-step photos show in the directions. (https://www.rosemarymark.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/f-ShortCutPieCrust-012016-4-pgs.pdf) You can try a well-floured surface if you don't have wax paper. Plastic wrap and parchment are difficult to work with for this dough.
- Transfer rolled dough to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Dust center of rolled dough with cornstarch or instant tapioca if fruit is very juicy.
- Add fruit, leaving 2-inches of dough free. Fold edges of dough up around fruit, leaving center open. Do not worry about dough breaking; patch edges by moistening dough with water using fingertips.Brush edge of dough with milk and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Bake on parchment lined baking sheet. 375F (convection) or 400F (conventional) 30 min or until bubbly and crust is golden. Ovens vary, time and temp may need adjustment. Slide spatula under edge of tart while still warm, to loosen from parchment. Transfer on parchment to a cooling rack. Serve warm or cool with whipped cream or ice cream.