Fresh beets seem to be experiencing a renaissance, or at my house they are since…
Move over potato and mac salads. Quinoa is stepping in. I shared this salad with my neighbors, and soon thereafter a call came in: “We want the recipe!” The orange bitters-laced dressing gives an appealing flavor twist to this refreshing and healthy salad. Cook the quinoa a day or so in advance, and make the dressing in advance too if you want. For a main dish salad, top each serving with sliced cooked chicken.
Quinoa Arugula Summer Salad
- 3 to 4 cups cooked quinoa, chilled
- 1/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. safflower or canola oil
- 1 tsp. Angostura orange bitters
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and fresh-ground pepper
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped basil
- 3 Tbsp. chopped mint
- 2 Tbsp. sliced green onion
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes red, yellow or both
- 4 generous cups baby arugula
- Cook quinoa ahead of time. Let cool, uncovered, then chill until ready to make salad. One (1) cup uncooked quinoa yields 3-4 cups cooked.
- Stir together seasoned rice vinegar, safflower oil, Angostura orange bitters, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, feta, basil, mint and green onion. Add tomatoes and arugula. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Sprinkle with additional seasoned rice vinegar to taste, if desired.